It's been a full 2 weeks of craziness. It all started last Tuesday when my environmental conflict class began our 3 day field trip. As a class, we are analyzing a current conflict in Costa Rica: the growth of the pineapple industry and the environmental and health problems following along. We interviewed 4 stakeholders in a specific case in Guacimal, CR. So we went on an overnight excursion! To the actual pineapple farm Tico Verde, to the community effected by the farm, to CANAPEP the chamber of pineapple growers and to Seterena, an NGO supporting the front against pineapple.
Once we learned from these 4 visits, we came back to class and held a negotiation simulation where we all played the role of a stakeholder. Talk about hands on learning! Now if they would only listen to our perfect solution....
Last weekend a group of Mastatlers showed up just in time for the UPeace open mic night. The event was held in the town plaza, so that the local Ticos could join in! We had a few singers, a poet, and some stumbling drunk men participate. Jaime was the star of the show!
This week I have been bogged down with work and I just had to register for classes, which given my decision making abilities is a challenge. I just presented a poster on an environmental conflict where mediation was used, specifically Denver Water Board vs. the EPA in the late 70s. Today is the last day of class and also Halloween! My roomies and I spent all night making our costumes and we plan to win the contest at the party tonight! Pictures to come.
1 morning till class is over.
1.5 days till I go visit Mastatal
5 days till Obama wins (fingers crossed)
23 days till Allison come to visit and,
7.5 months till India and Rwanda!!! (yes mom, I'm going)
1 comments:
India.. ok.
Rwanda... hmmmm....
Love
Guess who
Post a Comment