Sunday, November 9, 2008

Bienvenidos Mr. President

Friday I arrived at school and was immediately herded into a group of students selected to represent UPeace at a government function in Ciudad Colon. The president of CR, as well as his board of ministers and advisers, was coming to CC in celebration of the completion of the town cultural center. So along with about 15 other Upeacers, we got free UPeace t-shirts and headed back into town for the event. I must say, that apart from the beginning and then end, the whole deal was rather boring. Partially because it was in Spanish so I only understood 50% of what was being said, and partially because 2 hours of listening to government officials talk would be boring in any language. But at the end, when the president was talking about UPeace and all the greatness it brings to CC and CR, we all got to go up on stage and get our picture taken with Mr. President! The locals were taking pictures like crazy, as well as tons of reporters and important looking people. I'd say it was a good 3 minute photo shoot. Almost as cool as when I met Prince William :)



Currently, I am spending a lazy weekend in CC, trying to motivate myself to get ahead in my work. I recently realized that I should be picking a topic for my spring thesis, ugh, so I have been tinkering away on the internet. I love food so I figure I should write about that!! Right now I am researching sustainable agriculture as a means for sustainable development, but since I am sort of over developing countries, I am also thinking about US food systems and their relation to climate change. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee.. when I asked what's new earlier.. hmmm. oh let's see. I met with the president of CR..hmm. maybe not of much interest to my mom.. hmmmm oh ya, that was 2 days ago.. When I happen to be a teacher selected to meet with Obama.. hmmm. maybe I will tell you:)
Love you anyway:)

Jaime R Santin said...

Gracias por dejarme leer tu blog, disfruto mucho recordar lo que has vivido. En muchas de las vivencias he estado alli contigo, se parece como que hemos compartido mucho tiempo juntos.
dicea que solamete entendiste 50% of what Mr President spoke. Al inicio cuado te conoci, creo que era 0%, deberias estar muy orgullosa de ti, has avanzado mucho. Bueno de hecho, you estoy muy orgulloso de ti.
Don Jaime