Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lecciones interesante en español

I just returned from a captivating two hours of Spanish class, where we proceed to have a 15 minute conversation about baking. Or at least that's what we thought we were talking about. It turns out that the terms orinar and hornear (silent h) sound quite similar. So really, we were talking about peeing in cookies and providing great entertainment until Roxanna decided to step in and correct us. I guess she has to have some fun once in a while! I then proceeded to tell her about this new diet I discovered. Urine Therapy. You drink your piss to heal yourself. Try explaining that one in Spanish. And there are heaps of books about it. Check it out.

Feranado, my new Latin love, is a cute little 10ish year old boy who takes English classes in the same place I take Spanish. Several times now, we have crossed paths in the beginning or end of class. He loves to ask me questions like, "Who did you vote for?" and "Have you been to Disney World." Today I ran into him outside before and after class ( I think he was secretly waiting for me...) and he told me I was an interesting person...or at least that's what I think he said. I'll take it as a compliment.

Fernando and my professora Roxanna are equally fascinated with the concept of Black Friday. Electronics are overpriced here, so the idea of getting TV's and such for cheap prices is enthralling. I tried to explain that Black Friday is perhaps not so wonderful after all....but they are blinded to this concept by the cheap prices. In the end, I have now agreed to go gameboy shopping through my parents. Lucky them :)

Also, I don't know how this happened two semesters in a row...but I am constantly labeled as the "kisser" of the class. Last semester, the term besar (to kiss) happened to fall on my turn, so in every class hence forth, Roxanna managed to sneak a joke in about it. I thought it had passed with the changing of classes, but then today while asking each other questions, I was asked "usted ha besado mi novio?" (Have you kissed my boyfriend?). Roxanna sure loved that one. The joke returns.

2 comments:

ritodhi chakraborty said...

noodley - i cant believe i havent visited your blog once this semester. I suck. But i have returned . The stories are wonderful, the pictures even better.

:)

love,

blank

Andrew! said...

hahaha! Kisser!