Wow. Good thing being a better blogger wasn't one of my resolutions! Over 3 months since my last post! If I have any readers left, here's an update. I can only hope that Grandpa still has me on his favorites list!
SNOW! That was the theme of my late winter days here in DC. I was in Seattle for a conference when the first storm hit, and managed to jet back into the city just before the second, in time for the rest of the week off due to snow days!! Apart from a few excursions to the store (full of empty shelves) in my rubber boots, I spent my week of snow days bundled up inside, becoming a fanatic fan of LOST (it's like a drug!).

WORK! I started the first rotation in my fellowship. I am now working at the EPA in the Smart Growth Program. The short version of what smart growth is: development that emphasises efficient use of land and resources by reusing existing infrastructure, preserving natural areas, building compactly, and providing transportation options. I am surrounded by super smart people, and am being exposed to ample opportunities to learn and develop knowledge in the planning field. Now if only I had a degree in environmental planning...hmm, might have to get one of those! (This is me working in Monterey)

FAMILY! I traveled to Detroit to visit my old stomping grounds. Mom flew in from Washington (state, that is) and we visited the family. The weekend was filled with good food, laughter, and some funky music at The Arc in Ann Arbor. I was on the search for the perfect Michigan sweatshirt, and due to family loyalty chose the green over the blue. Although since they only carried size XL in MI, I had to order it online when I got back to the District.

ADVENTURE! Despite my protests against cross country skiing as an obnoxious teen, I have now decided that it is a fun activity. Packed in a car with friends, we made the drive to West Virginia to ski at White Grass. It was a much different vibe than what I'm used to on Oregon's Mt. Hood (mainly because I had to pay an entrance fee and rent skis!) but a beautiful place nonetheless. And we couldn't have asked for more perfect weather! The trail was a bit steep for the beginners on the trip, but the views at the top were fantastic! To top it off, the evening was filled with the local sounds of blue grass at the Purple Fiddle. The place was as awesome as the name! Be sure to visit next time you're in WV.

FLOWERS! The cherry blossoms hit DC again. Just in time for some beautiful spring days of 90degree weather to venture out and enjoy them (and silently curse the tourists who stop in the middle of sidewalks repeatedly and for no apparent reason). I practiced my photography skills (still lacking...) and picnicked with friends on the mall.

FRIENDS! Fortunately one of my work trips was to beautiful California. Work took me to Sacramento and Monterey and I stayed the weekend to catch up with great friends in San Fran. Some highlights of the trip were the unlimited Saki box in Oakland, an accidentally discovered nude beach (look close at that photo), amazing views of the bridge and ocean, and sharing deep belly laughter with GREAT friends Allison, Brandon, and Rachel.

Also of note, I cut bangs-in case you couldn't tell from the photos, celebrated Roosh becoming an American citizen, and discovered a new love for quinoa (with goat cheese!). (and I switched from Picasa to Flickr! More photos are posted.



2 comments:
:) very exciting stuff!
really lovely!!! :)
Post a Comment