Friday, December 5, 2008

English Class

Happy Birthday UPeace! 28 years and rolling...
On 5 December 1980, the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted resolution 35/55, which sets out in its annex the International Agreement for the Establishment of the University for Peace.
I have been helping my Spanish teacher out by volunteering to teach some of her English classes. Last night, my friend Leah and I tackled 10 middle school aged students and an English lesson. Whew! I don't know how you do it mom! 2 hours of these kids is a lot to handle! But it was also a blast. We started taking turns reading a story and answering questions about it. Then we decided to spice things up with some charades. The kids loved it! Whenever they didn't know a word they drew, we had a little lesson with the class to teach them. It was awesome and amazing to see these kids, most of them extremely poor and without a lot of opportunity, getting excited about learning English. After the class, my favorite little boy (the one that waits for me after class...) gave me a big hug and asked me to come back next week! It makes me even sadder about leaving! After class my teacher came to see how it went and was telling us that most of the kids are too poor to pay for classes, so she lets them come for free. They bring her things like bananas and oranges from trees in their yard to "pay." All the more reason that I feel privileged to volunteer my time for these amazing children and my amazing teacher!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you were a wonderful teacher! I'm looking forward to seeing you next month!