Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Spanish Hour

Spanish hour has been established at our humble abode every evening from 6-7pm. With only one fluent roommate, there is a plethora of "como se dice..." so it is more like Spanglish hour. Our first session proved to be both helpful and painfully entertaining. For example, while learning to say cucumber, pepino, a slight mishap occurred when instead of saying "I need to put my pepino in a bag," my roomie said "I need to put my pene in a bag." I'll let you guess what pene means. Think male. We are still laughing about that one.

Today at orientation we learned that in Costa Rica, when someone has a problem with another person, they do not confront that person. Instead, they tell a friend with the expectation that this friend will relay the message to the person they are upset with. No actual confrontation or discussion will occur and the people involved will continue to stay mad but act like everything is fine. Sounds like girl drama gone national. And we were informed to expect, respect, and abide by this custom. Good thing I went to high school.

The good news is orientation is over. The bad news, I picked up my reader for a three week class and it is larger than a normal semester long textbook. ugh. Fortunately I am looking forward to the beach on Saturday! It's only been 5 days and I am starting to wonder if Costa Rica and school should really go together. Perhaps I can make learning to surf count for credit..

1 comments:

ritodhi chakraborty said...

ahahahaha pene....good one whiteys......no studying abroad and going to class dont go together, which is why i am failing out of school....nice pictures though, you look skinny as ever...