UPDATE*** Solo adventure # 2 also goes awry. Mainly because my friend gave me the wrong directions, but also because transportation here is crazy! It makes me realize the comfort and convenience of cell phones. Life becomes a lot different when you learn to do without things you once thought of as a necessity ***
I just returned from my first solo adventure in Costa Rica. As I was meant to be meeting Nicole in Tamarindo this weekend, I headed off to San Jose this morning with my pathetic Spanish and my Costa Rica phrasebook. The bus system in San Jose is crazy. There are buses everywhere, but you can't actually tell where they are going or how to buy a ticket for them. The sales booths are usually located in a random stall amidst hundreds of vendors and people yelling for you to buy the Costa Rica version of a lottery ticket. Or at least that what I think they are selling...
So the good news is that I found the ticket booth by actually speaking to people in Spanish, the bad news is that I couldn't get a ticket because as Costa Rica goes, they randomly decided to suspend one of the buses for who knows how long and therefore the only other bus going to Tamarindo later today was full. Pura Vida. So now who knows where this weekend will take me...
Friday, February 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Bree, that is a sad story. Maybe you can catch the bus tomorrow? Be careful walking around San Jose alone!
bree, let me tell you a little story about how i grew up in INDIA - a place where the journey mattered more than the destination, where people hugged each other for no reason and everyone was your uncle or aunt, where the buses never ran on time, but somehow there always were friends to be found, where monsoons would keep you up all night and you walked through the dark house with a candle cause there was no electricity, where the future was usually a non-existent entity that people didnt grow up with, they liked the present - they loved the present. And so , yeah plans are great ways to arrange a life, but sometimes they keep you in the little sheltered room, that doesnt let you live.
so...what did we learn in today ? buses and schedules are for losers, friends, food and singing latin johnny cashes are what you should get old with.
all my love to you pequenya....
a note to ritodhi... thanks for the response to my Breezy. I am getting closer to old and love the reminder. My journey is so full of family, friends and adventures and I sometimes forget in my calendared daily life!!!! You are so young to know all this!!!!
Thanks Mrs.Mclean, your daughter is coming along nicely...
:) and i am still waiting for the thanksgiving invitation....
Ritodhi
Consider yourself invited!!!!
Post a Comment